Get fit and healthy by walking is a personal project aimed at improving overall health and fitness levels through the simple activity of walking regularly. I’ve started this project because I want to be Fit and Healthy. I want to make it my identity. Presently I am not. That’s what I feel.
Fit and Healthy can mean different things to different people. Let me first clarify here, what they mean to me.
By being FIT, I don’t mean to have a bulked up or a six-pack body. For me being fit means, to be able to do the things that I want to do without limitations. To develop physical stamina and endurance, to be active all through the day, and not having the feeling of burnout and niggles.
Being healthy means, to be in the state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or illness.
Project FIT and Healthy
The project is aimed at me becoming a Fit and Healthy person. I will become so, by doing certain tasks on regular basis, which are detailed below. These tasks shall act as the process that will help me to become an active, fit and healthy person. Doing these tasks regularly and consistently will help me develop strong habits so that they become innate to me.
I will track and monitor the progress on these tasks to evaluate my performance and also to see if the intended benefits are accrued or not.
I want to do this project in a slow and steady manner so that the process and the results are sustainable. For this reason, I have taken the project duration as 15 Months, i.e from January 2021 to March 2022. After this period, it is expected that powerful habits are formed and being continued.
Tasks / Processes
The project involves carrying our three tasks, regularly and consistently.
- To be active for a minimum of 60 Minutes per Day, 5 Days a Week
– By walking 50000 Steps per week / 2,00,000 Steps Per Month or by exercise in case walking is not possible
2. To have a healthy diet
– By eating within 1800 Calories per day.
– This parameter will not be monitored as this is cumbersome and not sustainable. We will not be able to enjoy food if we are worried about calories. A healthy diet shall be ensured by eating the right quantity, avoiding excess fats and sugars, and drinking a minimum of 2 liters of water every day
3. To sleep between 6 to 7 hours per day
– By sleeping 6 to 7 hours on average per day, so that the body gets enough time to rest and rejuvenate.
Tracking / Review
- Provide an update on the following parameters, in the first week of every month, the progress made in the past month
– Daily average and Total number of Steps
– Average Sleep Hours per day
Samsung Health app shall be used for tracking and reporting.
2. To get a general check-up done, quarterly, for the key health parameters to understand if there is any improvement or not.
Review of Performance
The performance for the month of January was good overall, and it was a good start to the project. I Could not keep up with my tasks from 10th to 14th January, due to travel. Few sleep logs were also missed. The workout duration was 22 Hrs 22 Min and the total distance walked in the month was 171.68 Km / 209431 Steps. The average number of steps per day is 6755. The aim is to better the performance in the month of February 2021. My weight in the first week of January 2021 was 84.9 Kg and I weighed 84.1 Kg on the 1st of February 2021.
The performance for the month of February was pretty good. As planned, I could able to improve from January. The workout duration was 33 Hrs 38 Min and the total distance walked in the month was 171.68 Km / 280626 Steps. The average number of steps per day is 10022. The aim is to sustain the performance in the month of March 2021. I weighed 83.2 Kg on the 1st of March, 2021.
The performance for the month of March 2021 was excellent. As planned, I could able to improve from the month of February 2021. The total workout duration for the month was 50 Hrs 01 Min and the total distance walked in the month was 260.09 Km / 401995 Steps. The average number of steps per day is 12967. There is a significant jump from the month of February 2021 and the aim is to sustain the performance in the month of April 2021. I weighed 81.8 Kg on the 1st of April, 2021. Looking forward to April 2021.